JVAC
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ogre Battle 64 [VC / N64]

4 posters

Go down

Ogre Battle 64 [VC / N64] Empty Ogre Battle 64 [VC / N64]

Post by Emessai Zeal Mon Apr 05, 2010 6:58 pm

Ogre Battle 64 just recently made it to the Virtual Console. This game, in my opinion, is one of the best strategy games I've ever played. The gameplay mechanics are very immersive, similar in complexity to Final Fantasy Tactics (one of my other favorites). If you've never played it but like strategy games, I definitely recommend picking up this game on the Virtual Console for ten bucks. Great buy.
Emessai Zeal
Emessai Zeal

http://emessai.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Ogre Battle 64 [VC / N64] Empty Re: Ogre Battle 64 [VC / N64]

Post by DemonicLordLaharl Mon Apr 05, 2010 7:26 pm

t'was all right find the snes version march of the black queen edition
was alot more in depth and required more challenge, 64 was really good
but lacked a bit in the storywise, GBA version was fun as hell thou.

*sidenote for Todd* lmao you sound like a bad car salesman trying to
read the back of the box to get ppl to try it

Last edited by DemonicLordLaharl on Mon Apr 05, 2010 7:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
DemonicLordLaharl
DemonicLordLaharl

http://www.un-wiredtv.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Ikuto Mon Apr 05, 2010 7:35 pm

Emessai Zeal wrote:Ogre Battle 64 just recently made it to the Virtual Console. This game, in my opinion, is one of the best strategy games I've ever played. The gameplay mechanics are very immersive, similar in complexity to Final Fantasy Tactics (one of my other favorites). If you've never played it but like strategy games, I definitely recommend picking up this game on the Virtual Console for ten bucks. Great buy.

Your opinion in the end is just your opinion. Unless you're going to go more in depth about the game it ain't saying much about it and doesn't make me want to blow $10 on it.
Ikuto
Ikuto

Back to top Go down

Post by Emessai Zeal Mon Apr 05, 2010 8:01 pm

Okay.

The game's core revolves around managing your units outside of battles, and then implementing them as armies within battles. There's a set of basic statistics such as strength and intelligence, typical of most RPG games. There's also a statistic for Alignment, which has a lot of rules governing it, that plays a huge role in which classes your characters can be. The main aspect to building your army is your formations. Each army must have a leader, and can contain up to five units, however large units (like dragons or golems) count as two units. The big trick is to get your armies to have a purpose for each one, and work effectively as a team. With only five guys, you have to sometimes through away what makes sense in favor of what's the most powerful, or for a team that can suit one purpose (such as the ability to fly).

The map is traversed via points, and you can travel freely between places you've conquered. You can visit them to search for items or wild units (who you can befriend), or revisit towns. You also can visit shops to buy stuff, and the shops in each area tend to have different sets of merchandise.

When investigating an area or doing a mission, you'll be looking at a section of map, with specific geographical terrain types (like forests, rivers or mountains) that affect movement. Your missions will generally consist of capturing an enemy stronghold by fighting your way through enemy formations. When on the map, you can pause to deliver orders (like to attack an enemy unit, or capture a stronghold), but other than that the movement on the map is real time. Your units can get tired out and will have to setup camp, so you have to pace yourself and not spread your forces too thin. There are some more hidden stats here, like when you arrive on an enemy city, depending on your alignment and the city's morale, you can either liberate or capture them. Capture too many cities, and you get the not-as-awesome ending. Other than that it's not too big of a deal. There's all kinds of "Named" units you can enlist by doing certain things during missions and such, like talking to people in certain strongholds after a certain point in the story, something you can do that's extra and gets you good units (and good items), but isn't necessary. When attacking enemy units, you'll be shown the direction of both units. If you're not careful, you can get attacked from the back or the sides, which will drastically affect your battle outcome (if you had mages in the back, and are attacked from the back, your mages will appear in the front, where they are VERY prone to severe melee damage).

The battle system, unlike most games, is entirely automated except for your army's orders. You can order them to attack a certain type of unit (leader, strongest, weakest, or random, I believe), order them to retreat (after a certain amount of time has passed), or after a lot of time has passed, you can use your Pedra to do a ton of damage to and perhaps get yourself out of a bind (this doesn't typically occur until the later chapters). So the idea here is that you have to make sure your formations will function as you want. Melee units can only attack the front-most units, ranged can only attack the back-most, same as magic users, but magic users can combine their attacks to turn into AoE attacks that either hit in a 2 x 2 square, or one square and each of the four adjacent squares. You have no control over this, which requires you to find units that match each other on alignment as well as keep them together for a long time. A lot of how battles pan out is decided purely by who is where, as each unit attacks differently depending on which row they're in (front, mid, back). For instance, Paladins attack three times from the front, twice from the mid, and from the back cast heal twice.

There's more to this game, but I haven't played in a while, and besides HOPEFULLY that's enough depth to at least give you an idea of how the game works.

Did you have any specific questions or comments?

Emessai Zeal
Emessai Zeal

Back to top Go down

Post by Ikuto Mon Apr 05, 2010 8:44 pm

No, I'm good. That's pretty much what I wanted to know.
Ikuto
Ikuto

Back to top Go down

Post by Emessai Zeal Mon Apr 05, 2010 8:45 pm

Well glad I could help. If you try it out, let me know what you think.
Emessai Zeal
Emessai Zeal

Back to top Go down

Post by lostangel Tue Apr 06, 2010 11:00 am

but still
final fantasy tactic is still the best SRPG ever made in that generation
especially if you have done the stuff my friend has

lostangel

Back to top Go down

Post by Emessai Zeal Tue Apr 06, 2010 11:33 am

I don't know what your friend has done, but I agree it's definitely an SRPG marvel. However this game and that game provide for two quite different styles of SRPG, so I love em both.
Emessai Zeal
Emessai Zeal

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum