JVAC
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

SSBB Tournament Turnout

+2
Harvestfan
Emessai Zeal
6 posters

Go down

What can be done to increase tournament turnout?

SSBB Tournament Turnout I_vote_lcap14%SSBB Tournament Turnout I_vote_rcap 14% 
[ 5 ]
SSBB Tournament Turnout I_vote_lcap14%SSBB Tournament Turnout I_vote_rcap 14% 
[ 5 ]
SSBB Tournament Turnout I_vote_lcap17%SSBB Tournament Turnout I_vote_rcap 17% 
[ 6 ]
SSBB Tournament Turnout I_vote_lcap6%SSBB Tournament Turnout I_vote_rcap 6% 
[ 2 ]
[ 2 ]
SSBB Tournament Turnout I_vote_lcap17%SSBB Tournament Turnout I_vote_rcap 17% 
[ 6 ]
SSBB Tournament Turnout I_vote_lcap8%SSBB Tournament Turnout I_vote_rcap 8% 
[ 3 ]
[ 2 ]
SSBB Tournament Turnout I_vote_lcap11%SSBB Tournament Turnout I_vote_rcap 11% 
[ 4 ]
SSBB Tournament Turnout I_vote_lcap3%SSBB Tournament Turnout I_vote_rcap 3% 
[ 1 ]

Total Votes : 36

SSBB Tournament Turnout Empty SSBB Tournament Turnout

Post by Emessai Zeal Sat Apr 03, 2010 6:38 pm

Okay, so when we first talked about the SSBB
tournament, there was a lot of hands. Probably around twenty, not including officers. The second time we asked who is going, after the initial announcement, we still had a good twenty or so. Eight people showed up, six from the club. This is a problem, but instead of just raging, I want to know if there's anything that could've been done to help the process.

To cut down on bureaucracy and needless communication, I've been given much broader jurisdiction over the gaming tournaments to ensure that the process is streamlined. From now on, I'll be putting up signups as well as an equipment list on the forum, and passing it out at the meetings to ensure that we have what we need and everyone's responsibilities are understood. Along with that, I'll be in contact with Play n' Trade so I always know what's up, instead of having to wait to get in contact with the higher ups. Hopefully this will amend some organizational issues we had this time around.

If you feel the tournament could've gone much better, I apologize, but also suggest that you provide reason to you dissatisfaction, and that you justify it well, so that there are no hard feelings, only constructive criticism and progress. So, to spur this, I've added a poll in an attempt to encompass the opinions of what should be done to improve tournament turnout. Please do respond if you ever intend to join a tournament. You can vote for as many options as you feel are accurate.

Thank you.
Emessai Zeal
Emessai Zeal

http://emessai.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

SSBB Tournament Turnout Empty Re: SSBB Tournament Turnout

Post by Harvestfan Sat Apr 03, 2010 7:09 pm

I think the event was mentioned in facebook a week before but I checked that anyway. The only reason I paid 5 dollars was because I really wanted to play Brawl with you guys. If it were any other game I would have refused. I could get popcorn chicken with that money. ...or a chocolate milkshake. Uh anyway, yeah that was a little more than what I would have liked. 2-3 dollars is cool with me. Though I lean more on 2.

Even with that I still liked how it turned out. Since there weren't a lot of people it didn't take a long time. I was free to do other things instead of rushing home right after.
Harvestfan
Harvestfan

http://harvestfanrune.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Emessai Zeal Sat Apr 03, 2010 11:01 pm

Yea I had a feeling the fee was a problem. When I saw that I was like "Uhhh..." but it wasn't up to me. The Mario Kart Wii fee will be adjusted to ensure maximum players.

And yea see that confusion about when I could post the tourney indicator caused an issue. So I WILL make sure that happens, for sure. And hopefully the aforementioned organization restructuring will satisfy Poll Answer #1. I also think there should be a newsletter, definitely, via e-mail. Even if people can't be relied on to check it ever.

I hope the more hardcore/accessible rules thing comes out in either favor. If it stays even, I'm leaving the rules as I find them. But instead I might just have more player input for them.
Emessai Zeal
Emessai Zeal

Back to top Go down

Post by L Sat Apr 03, 2010 11:29 pm

Is there really a problem with the fee?

I didn't mind paying 5$, and all the funds were used for the grand prize at the end of the tournament. If we make the price lower, we wont have enough for a bigger price.
-And if we did lower it, to say 2-3$, and have not many people, the prizes would suck.

But if we were to also ask members to pay early for the tournament, some of them might not go and ask for a refund. Then in which we wont able to since we probably would use it in getting a prize.

And lastly, I wouldn't want to use my own money to buy prizes to hand out in the end since I'm so close into buying a car.

*And we can also do fundraisers on Campus without having an advisor, but im not entirely sure on that one. I need to talk to Rebbecca Cobb for info.

If anyone has any more suggestions please do not hesitate to say anything.

L
L
Admin
Admin

https://jvac.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by L Sat Apr 03, 2010 11:31 pm

*(And it was 2 weeks announced before the tourney on FB, but 1 day on Club meeting.)
L
L
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Emessai Zeal Sat Apr 03, 2010 11:36 pm

Yea Lance I can't really speak for everyone, but I'm getting the vibe that people want the participation in a tournament and tournament environment OVER the idea of a prize. The prize isn't why they play, most people play these games for fun. Now when it gets to fighting game time, yes I'll raise the fee and subsequently the prize. Like for SFIV and BB, because more people play that seriously, rather than for fun like Mario Kart Wii (which is the next game) and SSBB.
Emessai Zeal
Emessai Zeal

Back to top Go down

Post by DemonicLordLaharl Sat Apr 03, 2010 11:43 pm

ill give my 2 cents.

Location is a factor, even thou its not super far from school it isnt close and not everyone wants to walk/take a bus there and bus/walk back at night or late afternoon since most of the time parents pick them up. So prob having it on campus would work a bit better.

Price is a big factor especially if its open club members won't want to spend money on a toruny that someone outside the club could win, so id say for the most part make it only club and friends to keep members more interested because not everyone is good, so maybe making an expert class and a beginners class would attract more.

Final have all the rules ready ahead of time, everyone can see online about banned and cheaper characters (R.O.B, Dedede and Meta Knight) and decide nm I wont have a chance
DemonicLordLaharl
DemonicLordLaharl

http://www.un-wiredtv.com

Back to top Go down

Post by L Sat Apr 03, 2010 11:46 pm

Why is ROB banned?

-_-
L
L
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DemonicLordLaharl Sun Apr 04, 2010 12:03 am

its not that he is banned (meta knight is usually the only banned char) its certain moves, grabs are banned or limited due to his gyros can provide a possible Edge Guard
DemonicLordLaharl
DemonicLordLaharl

Back to top Go down

Post by Emessai Zeal Sun Apr 04, 2010 12:20 am

DemonicLordLaharl wrote:ill give my 2 cents.

Location is a factor, even thou its not super far from school it isnt close and not everyone wants to walk/take a bus there and bus/walk back at night or late afternoon since most of the time parents pick them up. So prob having it on campus would work a bit better.

Price is a big factor especially if its open club members won't want to spend money on a toruny that someone outside the club could win, so id say for the most part make it only club and friends to keep members more interested because not everyone is good, so maybe making an expert class and a beginners class would attract more.

Final have all the rules ready ahead of time, everyone can see online about banned and cheaper characters (R.O.B, Dedede and Meta Knight) and decide nm I wont have a chance

QFT

Unfortunately, it doesn't seem like we're going to have much of a choice in terms of location. On campus would be tough, but if people can point me in the right directions (haven't even been here a whole year yet), I'll see what we can manage, if Play n Trade is really too far.

Also yea, the rules thing. Thaaat should've been done way earlier. I'm going to put up the Mario Kart Wii thread tonight, and I'll set the rules I've decided on. Then, I'm going to ask players for a single rule change (unless it's paired with something else), that way it's not total anarchy, but we're also accommodating.
Emessai Zeal
Emessai Zeal

Back to top Go down

Post by DemonicLordLaharl Sun Apr 04, 2010 12:25 am

location yes is a problem, unless you can work out something with an advisor i would say get the art room i showed you before lance, and hold it there during free time.
DemonicLordLaharl
DemonicLordLaharl

Back to top Go down

Post by Emessai Zeal Mon Apr 05, 2010 11:54 am

So it seems like people need a lot more information than they are getting.
Emessai Zeal
Emessai Zeal

Back to top Go down

Post by lostangel Tue Apr 06, 2010 11:01 am

which is why you guys should ask
chris and i have ran this type of things before, more so for him than for me, and we can come up with some fair ruling as far as how the game will be set up
i'm surprised none of you people in charge bothered to ask for opinions before doing anything

lostangel

Back to top Go down

Post by Emessai Zeal Tue Apr 06, 2010 11:29 am

I did ask. I asked several times. I'm sorry if you did not take those opportunities, or if you feel as though they were not presented to you, but I have been nothing if not open to suggestions and repeatedly ask for suggestions. You always seem to have commentary after the fact instead of before it. I would appreciate either of your guys' help, but I've done this stuff before too and as such am also aware of how to deal with things on an organizational level, as I addressed in the first post. You have to understand that it's my job to set the groundwork then collect suggestions rather than run around asking people what to do. If you are unhappy with a decision I make just say so, I'm sure someone such as yourself or Chris should have no problem just saying "hey Todd you might want to consider this Rule change because of these reasons." If you do, and it makes sense and fits the purpose if the tournament, I'll make the change. I have done tournaments before on a scale larger than that of our club, with players less experienced, and thus tend to gravitate towards accessible tournaments more centralized around fun than competitive play. If the players here want something more rigid, that can easily be arranged if you just let me know. So please do not try to assert that none of us ask for opinions because I do it all the time. Just as fairly, however, I cannot ask every question, so take it upon yourself to do your knowledge justice and just tell me what you think is best.

So again: if you guys have any suggestions, please give them to me. With this new structure I can assure that they are implemented assuming it makes sense.
Emessai Zeal
Emessai Zeal

Back to top Go down

Post by lostangel Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:47 pm

like my teacher always says
if you don't ask for help, we all just assume you got it
until eventually it shows that you have no idea what's going on
in which case it will be too late

lostangel

Back to top Go down

Post by DemonicLordLaharl Tue Apr 06, 2010 10:29 pm

in your own words

"but I've done this stuff before too and as such am also aware of how to
deal with things on an organizational level, as I addressed in the first
post."

" I have done tournaments before on a scale larger than that of our club,
with players less experienced, and thus tend to gravitate towards
accessible tournaments more centralized around fun than competitive
play."

with words like that means you should have it down, so we let you do it as you please and when things pass it was what you did.

The problem is you rely to heavily on how everyone else runs tournaments, which is a nice thing to fall on but its not how it shoudl always be done, like you said when you ppl had less skill but then you forget by opening it up to ppl not i nthe club at Play N Trade there will be higher level people.
DemonicLordLaharl
DemonicLordLaharl

Back to top Go down

Post by Ikuto Wed Apr 07, 2010 12:33 am

I wouldn't really suggest using hardcore rules too much because most players in the club ARE casual players and in the end these tournaments are meant to be CLUB EVENTS for our CLUB MEMBERS.
Ikuto
Ikuto

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down